Trifle with Homemade Custard
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 cup of anchor fresh cream
- 5 egg yolks
- ½ cup of caster sugar
- 1 vanilla pod
Rest of Trifle:
- 225g of unfilled sponge cake
- Watties canned peaches sliced in light syrup
- Sprigs of mint
- Greek Yoghurt
- Whipped Cream
WHAT TO DO:
1. Split bean pod in two and scrape insides out.
2. Combine the milk, cream and vanilla seeds + pod in a
saucepan and bring to simmering
point over a medium heat.
3. Meanwhile, whisk the egg yolks and sugar in a bowl until
light and foamy. Add the hot milk and cream mixture, whisking continuously to
combine, then return the mix to the cleaned saucepan on a medium heat.
4. Using a spoon, stir continuously for roughly 10 minutes,
until the custard is thick enough to coat the back of the spoon.
5. Strain the custard through a fine sieve, discarding the
vanilla pod. This is to make sure the custard is nice and velvety. The custard
is now ready to be served warm or cold.
To make the trifle...
1. Cut sponge cake into small cubes and put into glass.
2. Drain peaches, leave juices separately.
3. Spoon some of
the juices onto sponge.
4. Spoon peaches on top of sponge.
5. Add your custard.
6. Mix whipped cream and yoghurt together.
7. Top with whipped cream and yoghurt mixture and add mint
Put them in the fridge to let them set and then serve!