Top Secret Pancakes
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 3 eggs, separated
- 225 cottage cheese (light if there is such a thing)
- 25g caster sugar
- 35 g plain flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- Cooking spray
- Grated rind of 1x lemon, plus 1 lemon cut into wedges
- Icing sugar
WHAT TO DO:
1. Beat the egg yolks lightly.
2. In a separate bowl
beat the egg whites until they form stiff, glossy peaks.
3. In a medium
bowl – stir in egg yolks, cottage cheese, sugar, flour, baking powder, cinnamon
4. Whisk in one third of the egg whites.
5. Then with a spatula, fold in the rest. Focus on your folding
technique: ‘cut’ through the middle of the mixture and then lift the batter
from the bottom of the bowl over the top of the batter – turning the bowl helps.
Folding is important because it’s what keeps the mixture
light and airy – if you were to stir the batter normally, you’d eliminate all
the air bubbles!
6. Heat electric fry pan to medium/high
heat (tip – you can tell the pan is hot enough when a drop of the batter
sizzles on contact)
7. Cook pancakes in batches – spoon about 4 tbsp of batter
8. Cook each pancake until the surface bubbles and the edges
start to curl (around 1min) then flip and cook until the undersides are golden
brown (about 3 more mins)
9. Remove and cover with a tea towel to keep warm.