by Faith-Ashleigh Wong
This week MERGE was the "word of the day". With the numbers getting closer to ten, which is typically when the merge happens, it's no wonder. An unexpected barter during the reward challenge turns the Survivor game into "the starving game" – who can out-starve the other?
- I've always been a fan of Michael so am happy he's back but him eating the rice dry thus depleting the tribe's supply – how rookie of a mistake is that?! Rationing the rice and not eating more than your share is like Survivor 101. I think Michael has really gotten rusty; he needs to wake up!
- I don't think there has ever been a challenge that has locked down quite so dramatically! I certainly was not expecting what happened in the end. Even with the letters from home (earlier than expected – I wonder why?), ultimately I don't think it was the right move agreeing to the trade. They were thinking short term gain/sustenance versus the long term, in my opinion.
- Artis was pretty scary. I was fully expecting a shouting match or quarrel of some sort to ensue; all credit to him for knowing it wouldn't have been the wisest move to do so. Although I agree that they shouldn't have given up (or given in depending on which way you look at it!), I disagree with him saying Michael made the decision undemocratically – he did ask for everyone's opinion during the challenge; it just so happened Artis was outvoted.
- Malcolm is probably the best thing that happened to Tandang. He has dominated the challenges and this week he pretty much single-handedly won immunity for the tribe. I'm rooting for him to win at this point!
- With now three castaways down from Tandang, I fear Kalabow may be going down the same path as the recently decimated Matsing. Poor Denise. Will she ever get a break from tribal council?!
- Judging by next week's previews, there is either going to be an early merge or it kind of looked like a camp raid... I hope it's the latter because that would really throw a spanner in the works!