Steak and Cheese Pie
WHAT YOU NEED:
- Olive oil
- 2 medium red onions, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled and chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 sticks of celery, trimmed and chopped
- Button mushrooms
- 1kg stewing beef, cut into 2cm cubes
- A few sprigs of fresh rosemary, leaves picked and chopped
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 500 ml salt reduced beef stock
- 2 heaped tablespoons plain flour
- 200g grated Edam
- 3 large potatoes- microwaved, cooled &sliced
- 1 large egg, beaten with a dash of milk
WHAT TO DO:
Preheat the oven to 190ºC
2. Gently fry the onions in olive oil until soft.
3. Add the other veges &garlic.
4. Now add beef, rosemary, salt &pepper.
5. Crank up the heat and fry for 3-4 minutes.
6. Add stock & flour to the veges enough to cover them.
Bring to a simmer.
7. Put on a lid and place in oven for about 1 ½ hours.
Remove the pan from the oven and give the stew a stir. Put it back into the oven
and continue to cook it for another hour, or until the meat is very tender and
the stew is thick.
Remove from the heat and add a layer of cheese to the top of the stew.
10. Lay slices of potato overtop of the steak mixture. Overlapping so there’s
no gaps. Brush with beaten egg &milk. Season with salt &pepper.
Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
11. Bake in oven
until potatoes are crispy &golden.