WHAT YOU NEED:
- 1 cup of orange juice
- Lots of ice cubes
- 4 tbs regular table salt or sea salt
- Two resealable bags – one small, one
- A pair of gloves
WHAT TO DO:
1. Pour your orange juice into the smaller
resealable bag. Make sure there is no
air in the bag, and seal it up tight!
2. Put the sealed bag of orange juice inside
the larger resealable bag. It should fit
comfortably with lots of spare room!
3. Add ice cubes to the larger bag until the
smaller bag is surrounded by ice.Then
sprinkle your salt over the ice. Squeeze
the air out of the bag and seal it up.
4. Put your gloves on and start squishing and
shaking the bags.Get the mixture moving
around as much as you can but be careful not to burst the bags.
5. After about 5 – 10 minutes, the orange
juice in the small bag will turn into an icy orange slushy. Pour it into a glass and enjoy!
The Extreme Science Behind This:
Adding salt to ice lowers its freezing
point, which means it melts much faster than usual.In order to melt, the ice needs to absorb
energy – so it absorbs the heat energy from the orange juice – which is much
warmer than the ice.As the ice absorbs
all the heat from the orange juice, the orange juice starts to freeze!Which makes some Extreme Science and a tasty
treat for you!