Dip Dyed Marshmallows
WHAT YOU NEED:
- 2 cups sugar
- ½ cup cold water
- 2 tbsp gelatin
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 cup coconut
- ¾ cup of hot water
- Red and green food colouring
- Christmas shaped cookie cutters
WHAT TO DO:
1. Heat your hot water in a pot and add 2 cups of sugar.
2. This needs to boil for about 10mins.
3. Add 2 tablespoons of gelatin to ½ a cup cold water and stir to combine.
4. Check to see if your sugar mixture is ready by dropping a tiny bit of it into some ice cold water. If it forms a soft ball when you pick it up - you’re good to go! Be careful, because the mixture is crazy hot and could burn!
5. Tip the gelatin and cold water mixture into the pot and stir it until it dissolves.
6. Take the pot off the heat and place it in a tray of cold water – continue to stir it until the pot has cooled down completely.
7. Add a little ice to your water to keep the pot cool.
8. Use an egg beater and beat the mixture until it is thick and white – from this point in it should start looking more and more marshmallow-y!
9. Add in a dash of vanilla essence and then keep beating.
10. When your mixture is really thick pour it into a baking tray that has been sprayed with oil.
11. Pop it into the fridge for an hour.
12. Once the marshmallow is set, lift it out of the tin in one piece and put it on a chopping board.
13. Use Christmas shaped cookie cutters to cut up your marshmallow.
To Dip Dye:
1. Take red and green food colouring and pop into small bowls.
2. Add in some water.
3. Dip in your marshmallows.
4. Then leave to dry.