Chicken Meatballs and Miso Rice
WHAT YOU NEED FOR THE CHICKEN MEATBALLS:
- 400g chicken breasts, boneless (skin off)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- ½ cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup sesame seeds
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- ¼ cup chopped coriander
WHAT YOU NEED FOR THE MISO RICE
- 1 ½ cups sushi rice
- ½ tsp miso paste
- 4 spring onions, finely sliced
- 4 tsp soy sauce
- ¼ cup coriander leaves
WHAT YOU NEED FOR THE SALAD:
- 300g pumpkin, chopped into 2.5cm chunks
- 2 mandarins
- 1 ½ tbsp lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 4 large handfuls baby spinach leaves
- 3 tbsp olive oil
WHAT TO DO:
1) Preheat the oven to 200°C.
2) Arrange the chopped pumpkin on a lined baking tray, season with salt and pepper and drizzle with a little olive oil.
3) Roast for 20 minutes, turning at times, until the pumpkin is just tender.
4) Meanwhile, place the chicken in a food processor and pulse until it is finely chopped, taking care not to mix it to a paste.
5) Mix soy sauce, sesame oil and coriander into the chicken along with the bread crumbs.
6) With clean hands, form the mixture into small walnut sized balls.
7) Place the sesame seeds on a flat plate and roll the chicken balls in the seeds.
8) Arrange the balls in an ovenproof dish and bake for 15-20 minutes until cooked through.
9) While the meatballs cook, get started in the miso rice & salad.
10) Cook the rice according to packet instructions.
11) Then mix mandarin segments with roasted pumpkin and spinach for the salad.
12) Combine lemon juice and honey in a small bowl and drizzle over the salad, gently toss to combine.
13) Mix the miso, soy sauce, coriander and spring onions into the cooked rice.
14) Top rice portions with meatballs and serve with salad!
- Make sure you have someone older to help you when you are in the kitchen.
- Please note the microwave we use on the show is a convection oven. Always check with someone older before you put anything in to a microwave or oven to make sure it is safe.